Careers At Northwestern Benefit
Below is a list of current openings at Northwestern Benefit. Please click on an opening in the list to view details and apply.
Large Group Benefit Consultant
||Consulting, Large Group |
Benefits Consultant, Large Group
I. Position Summary
A Benefits Consultant (BC) interfaces with a group of clients (a book of business) to strategize and propose viable solutions to manage the menu of Health & Welfare benefit options that the client offers to its employees. BCs partner with clients and assist them with 1) emerging trends in employee benefits, 2) their annual renewal process, and 3) other possible options that would enhance or meet the goals of the client; the end product of this partnership is intended to add value to the client, enabling the client to be competitive in their own industry. BCs quickly assess the nature of any given problem, understand thoroughly the expectations of the client, and consistently meet or exceed those expectations. BCs must contribute to and flourish in a team environment, learn and exemplify the Collaborative Way, and engage in regular professional development. Position supports Large Group clients (100 – 3,000 employee lives).
II. Position Responsibilities
- Partners with each client in the book of business. The partnership is demonstrated through:
- Organizes and leads regular pre-planned meetings with the client;
- Understands key business issues facing the client, and brings viable solutions to the client to address those needs;
- Creates and executes meaningful long-term strategic benefit plans;
- Acts intentionally to retain clients and succeeds.
- Understands thoroughly (and stays knowledgeable of) employee Health & Welfare benefit programs including program design, compliance & legislation, and emerging trends.
- Strategically plans and executes plan renewals, staying in regular communication with the client and updating them on various emerging trends and solutions for their business needs.
- Anticipates concerns developing from the renewal process; proactively checks and verifies all information (new rates, employee enrollments and changes, ID cards, etc.); immediately addresses and solves problems generated through the renewal process.
- Adds value to our clients through presentation of strategic solutions for their benefit program; encourages client to be innovative; alerts client to potential issues (legislative and compliance information); serves client as an educator or speaker on benefit topics to assist employees being as effective as possible.
- Uses tools and systems (e.g. Zywave, MS Word, Excel, etc.) to enhance the job. Updates systems and keeps client files and work area organized and clean.
- Communicates thoroughly and clearly with all team members concerning client issues, renewals, and proactive work.
- Positively influences the team members; uses the Collaborative Way effectively to mediate concerns, offer encouragement and praise, and build good working relationships.
- Promotes and offers ideas for improvement.
- Attends training opportunities, reads and shares industry knowledge, regularly participates in coursework to either earn or maintain professional designations.
- Assesses the nature of a problem quickly, understand thoroughly the expectations of the client, and consistently meets those expectations through viable solutions.
A. Reports to: Manager, Large Group Consulting
- Supervises: None
IV. Knowledge/Experience Required
- Five+ years of experience in benefits including a strong knowledge of both fully and self-insured plans (carrier/TPA review & negotiation, network analysis, stop loss strategies, claims reporting), ancillary lines, and current legislation.
- An earned bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent).
- An earned Georgia accident, sickness and life license
- Professional Designations (RHU, REBC, CEBS) preferred.
V. Talents/Strengths Required
- Project Management
- Able to prioritize effectively
VI. Skills/Abilities Required
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (listens, speaks, and writes well); able to interact effectively with people of various responsibility and authority (employees, key contacts, executives, etc.).
- Highly organized.
- Able to manage a multitude of details (including paperwork); stays proactive while juggling these issues.
- Possess a natural inclination to reach out, build relationships, and uncover issues before the client calls Northwestern Benefit.
- Very comfortable with typical business technology including voice mail, e-mail, word processing, spreadsheets, and presentation software.
VII. Physical Requirements/Miscellaneous
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Reliable vehicle.
- Some light to moderate lifting & moving of enrollment supplies/materials.
- Some travel might be involved, including overnight and airline travel.
This position description is not intended to be all-inclusive, but to provide a general scope of the person and the position, outlining the primary responsibilities, reporting structure, and knowledge/strengths/abilities required to succeed. It is not a contract.
Applicant Tracking System Powered by