Careers At Northwestern Benefit
Below is a list of current openings at Northwestern Benefit. Please click on an opening in the list to view details and apply.
Small/Mid Market Benefit Consultant
||Consulting, Small/Mid-Market Group |
Benefits Consultant, Small Group & Mid Market
I. Position Summary
A Benefits Consultant (BC) interfaces with a group of clients (a book of business) in the small group and mid-sized client market (10 – 100 employees) to strategize and propose viable solutions to manage the menu of benefit options that the client offers to its employees. BCs partner with clients and assist them with 1) emerging trends in employee benefits, 2) their annual renewal process, and 3) other possible options that would enhance or meet the goals of the client. The end product of this partnership is intended to add value to the client, enabling the client to be competitive in their own industry. BCs quickly assess the nature of any given problem, understand thoroughly the expectations of the client, and consistently meet or exceed those expectations. BCs must contribute to and flourish in a team environment, learn and exemplify the Collaborative Way, and engage in regular professional development.
II. Position Responsibilities
- Partners with each client in the book of business. The partnership is demonstrated through:
- Attends regular and pre-planned meetings with the client;
- Understands key business issues facing the client, and brings viable solutions to the client to address those needs;
- Acts intentionally to retain clients and succeeds;
- Masterfully collects, organizes, and reviews relationship information.
- Understands thoroughly (and stays knowledgeable of) employee benefits, including plan designs, available riders, legislation, and emerging trends. Shares this knowledge with others at NBCG.
- Strategically plans and executes plan renewals, staying in regular communication with the clients and updating them on various emerging trends and solutions for their business needs.
- Anticipates concerns developing from the renewal process; proactively checks and verifies all information (new rates, employee enrollments and changes, ID cards, etc.); immediately addresses and solves problems generated through the renewal process.
- Adds value to our clients through timely and regular presentations of additional options for their benefits package; generates new opportunities and encourages client to be innovative; alerts client to potential issues (legislative and coverage information); serves client as an educator or special speaker on benefit topics to assist employees being as effective as possible.
- Uses tools and systems (e.g. Zywave, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) to enhance the job. Updates systems, creates e-mail groups for fast and efficient information dissemination. Keeps desk and work area organized and clean.
- Communicates thoroughly and clearly with all team members concerning client issues, renewals, and proactive work.
- Positively influences the team members; uses the Collaborative Way effectively to mediate concerns, offer encouragement and praise, and build good working relationships.
- Promotes and offers ideas for improvement.
- Attends training opportunities, reads and shares industry knowledge, regularly participates in coursework to either earn or maintain professional designations.
- Assesses the nature of a problem quickly, understand thoroughly the expectations of the client, and consistently meets those expectations through viable solutions.
A. Reports to: Small Group/Mid-Market Manager of Consulting
- Supervises: None
IV. Knowledge/Experience Required
- Three to five years of experience in benefits including a strong knowledge of fully-insured medical plans, ancillary lines (dental, life, disability, FSA, vision) and current legislation
- An earned bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent)
- An earned Georgia accident, sickness and life license
- Professional Designations (REBC, CEBS) preferred
V. Talents/Strengths Required
- Able to prioritize effectively
VI. Skills/Abilities Required
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (listens, speaks, and writes well); able to interact effectively with people of various responsibility and authority (employees, key contacts, executives, etc.).
- Highly organized.
- Able to manage a multitude of details (including paperwork); stays proactive while juggling these issues.
- Possess a natural inclination to reach out, build relationships, and uncover issues before the client calls NB.
- Very comfortable with typical business technology including voice mail, e-mail, word processing, spreadsheets, and presentation software.
VII. Physical Requirements/Miscellaneous
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Reliable vehicle.
- Some light to moderate lifting & moving of enrollment supplies/materials.
This position description is not intended to be all-inclusive, but to provide a general scope of the person and the position, outlining the primary responsibilities, reporting structure, and knowledge/strengths/abilities required to succeed. It is not a contract.
Applicant Tracking System Powered by